KTL 780 (45)


1956 Leyland PD2/20

Willowbrook H35/28RD


New to Delaine in April 1956

Withdrawn from Service in December 1978


Privately preserved between 1979 and 1990


Re-purchased by Delaine in July 1990 and

re-certified as a PSV in June 1992 following

extensive refurbishment and joined the Delaine Heritage Fleet for use on special duties


Became part of the Delaine Heritage Trust

collection in December 2015

                                                                              Click here for more photos of 45                Photo: N Thomson

The first new Leyland Double Decker to enter the Delaine fleet and spent its entire working life with the company. 45 was the last vehicle to be purchased and collected by Thomas Arthur Smith (1896-1958) who introduced Motor Buses into the family business in 1919 and has the distinction of being the only vehicle to have been driven by every generation of the family active in the business.        

Home Museum Heritage Fleet Delaine Gallery Delaine History News & Events



RCT 3 (50)


1960 Leyland PD3/1

Yeates H39/34RD


New to Delaine in June 1960

Withdrawn from Service in December 1979


First vehicle preserved by the company

and for use on special duties which eventually became known as the Delaine Heritage Fleet


Became part of the Delaine Heritage Trust

collection in December 2015

                                                                               Click here for more photos of 50                    Photo: S Knight

The second of only two Double Deck bodies ever built by WS Yeates of Loughborough, both especially for Delaine. 50 spent its entire working life with the company and was the last rear entrance Double Decker to remain in service with Delaine. Having been continually licensed as a PCV since new, makes it the longest serving Yeates bodied PSV vehicle and one of  a very small number that are now preserved of the 1,011 bodies built by the Loughborough Coachbuilder between 1946-64.                           


ACT 540L (72)


1973 Leyland Atlantean AN68/2R

Northern Counties H47/35F


New to Delaine in March 1973

Withdrawn from Service in December 2000


Preserved by the company and joined the Delaine Heritage Fleet for use on special duties


Became part of the Delaine Heritage Trust

collection in December 2015


                                                                               Click here for more photos of 72              Photo: N Thomson

The last new Leyland Double Decker to enter the Delaine fleet and part of a batch of five identical Northern Counties bodied Leyland Atlanteans in a consortium with fellow independants Whippet of Fenstanton and OK Motor Services of Bishop Auckland. They were the first examples of the new Leyland Atlantean AN68 extended 10.3m chassis, with seating for 82 made them the largest capacity vehicles in the country at the time. 72 spent its entire working life with the company and remained the flagship of the Double Decker fleet until the introduction of the company’s first Olympian’s in February 1995.


DELAINE HERITAGE FLEET


E100 AFW (100)


1987 Leyland Tiger

Duple B59F

New to Delaine in September 1987
Withdrawn from Service in July 2008


Privately preserved between 2009 and 2017


Became part of the Delaine Heritage Trust

collection in March 2017

                                                                               Click here for more photos of 100           Photo: S Whiteley

The last of a batch of four identical Duple bodied Leyland Tigers delivered new to Delaine between 1983-87 and the last Dominant body produced by Duple (between 1974-87). 100 spent its entire working life with the company and was the last Leyland to remain in service with Delaine after 78 years of continuous Leyland operation, which began in 1930 also with a Duple bodied Leyland Tiger.         


M1 OCT (116)


1995 Volvo Olympian

East Lancashire H51/35F


New to Delaine in February 1995

Withdrawn from Service in December 2016


Became part of the Delaine Heritage Trust

collection in December 2016

                                                                               Click here for more photos of 116           Photo: N Thomson

The first Volvo to enter the Delaine fleet and the last bus to be purchased and collected by the late Hugh Delaine-Smith MBE (1920-1995). 116 was also the first of a batch of six identical East Lancashire bodied Volvo Olympians delivered new to Delaine between 1995-99 and spent its entire working life with the company and was the last step entrance vehicle to remain in service with Delaine. 116 worked the Olympian/Step Entrance Finale on 31/12/16 (the last day of permitted step-entry operation on Local Bus Services in the UK), operating the final journeys of the year from Bourne and Peterborough respectively and was withdrawn from service upon its return to the depot.